Looking for engaging and fun activities to teach students all about New York City?
Look no further! Our NYC lesson plans and interactive notebook activities will allow students to dive right into NYC history and soak up it's rich culture, amazing history, and tough attitude! Easy to read, detailed lesson thematically-based lesson plans are included.
Students will enjoy our interactive notebook activities and learn even more with our test prep passages that are included in each of the borough bundles. No more run-of-the-mill, boring ELA test prep! Our test prep passages will have students saying, "Why can't every test prep passage be this interesting?"
Here's what you'll get:
Lesson Plans Overview:
Lesson Plan #1: How Pizza Came to Queens
Lesson Plan #2: The Flushing Remonstrance/Lewis Latimer
Lesson Plan #3: Forest Hills
Lesson Plan #4: Queens is Unique: Unisphere (World’s Fairs)/Robert Moses
Lesson Plan #5: Flavors of Queens: Lemon Ice King, Multiculturalism, Rockaway Beach
Lesson Plan #6: Queens Transportation
Lesson Plan #7: Queens is a Good Sport
Lesson Plan #8: Edit/Revise/Publish Queens Books
Completely editable in Microsoft Word!
New York City: Queens Interactive Notebook & Lapbook Activities
Interactive Notebooks and lapbooks are a type of portfolio or collection of student work on a variety of topics using flaps and/or folded displays. Most lapbooks are created out of office file folders which are then folded in half. Lapbooks allow students to showcase their work by providing them an interactive space for sketches and drawings, story summaries, graphical information, timelines, charts, and other forms of written work. Best of all, they can range from any topic or unit study. They truly let students creatively display their work in a way that interests them the most, which allows for a multitude of differentiation for each individual student.
Interactive Notebook / Lapbook Packet Includes:
• How to create a lapbook
• How to use the Vocabulary Cards Effectively Through Differentiation and Diverse Learners
• Uncommon Learning:Customized Activities Option Ideas
• Technology Integration Links Provided
• Staten Island Vocabulary Card Pocket with 12 no-prep, pre-made vocabulary cards
• Barn-Door Style Vocabulary Fold Cards
• Compare and Contrast Venn Queens and Manhattan
• Compare and Contrast Bracket Queens and any other NYC Borough of your choice.
• Compare and Contrast Venn The 1939 World's Fair Perisphere and the 1964 World's Fair Unisphere
• Cause and Effect Trifold: New York Mets / New York Yankees
• Cause and Effect Flaps: U.S. Open Tennis - Forest Hills Stadium to Arthur she Stadium in Flushing Meadows Corona Park
• Cause and Effect Trifold: What are the causes and effects of The 1964 World’s Fair?
• Queens Famous Places Fact Fold
• Queens Informational Diamond (Student Choice)
• Queens 'All About..."
• Queens Fact Pocket with 20 no-prep, pre-made fact pocket cards of popular Queens places.
• Famous Queens Figure Diamond Fold
• Famous Queens Important Figures pocket with 20 no-prep, pre-made cards
• Important Figure / Symbols Informational Trifold: Fiorello LaGuardia focus
• Enrichment Option: The Seal of the Borough of Queens, NY (create your own updated seal).
• Differentiated Flushing Meadows Corona Park Unisphere Options (Trapezoid Fold 'A' Group, Circle Flip 'B' Group, Circle Flip 'C' Group)
• The Flavor of Queens Cube Fold
• Thought Bubble: What would a member of the Lenape Indians say if he could see Queens today?
• Art Connection: Design a Queens-themed New York State License Plate.
• Create A Cartoon Activity
• "QUEENS" Acrostic Poem Activity
• Historical Fiction Journal Entry: Create a journal entry from the point of view of a famous person from Queens.
• Science Connection: Trees of Queens
• Queens: Then and Now Flower Fold
• 3-2-1 Queens Student Self-Assessment
Common Core Aligned, 89 engaging pages in all!
BONUS! Also included:
Robert Moses Informational Text Test Prep Passage with Informational Text Test Prep Annotation Assistant and Graphic Organizers
Our Annotation Assistant contains teacher notes, graphic organizers, and student bookmarks to help students annotate and take notes. Bundle also includes our FREE student test-prep checklist for student reference!
Perfect for Close Reading strategies, individual test prep practice, small group work, tutoring, vacation packet practice, and more! (16 pages).
Here's what some TpT buyers have said about our NYC Bundles:
Be sure to check out our full lineup of New York City Borough Bundles that will engage, inspire, and teach students all about NYC! Visit TheDynamicDuo101 on TpT today!